WHY CONSUME your PLACENTA?
While it may sound strange, ingesting one's own placenta can be the perfect medicine for a postpartum mama! The placenta is an organ that is full of hormones, iron, protein, and other nutrients that are depleted after the birth process.
Most mammals eat their placentas right after giving birth. While this is not common among modern humans, there is still a way to benefit from placenta medicine! By dehydrating and encapsulating the placenta, it can be taken as a supplement during the postpartum time.
While this practice remains largely unstudied, women who consume placenta medicine report the following:
- Increase breast milk production
- Increases overall energy
- Promotes hormonal balance
- Decrease likelihood of Postpartum Emotional Disorders (PPED)
- Decreases risk of anemia
- Decrease likelihood of insomnia or sleep disorders
- Reduces postpartum bleeding
- Reduces stress levels
- Improves appearance of skin, hair, and nails
If the following is true, placental medicine may be especially beneficial for you:
- History of depression and/or postpartum emotional disorders
- History of low milk supply
- Postpartum hemorrhage
- High activity life style
- History of anemia in current pregnancy
- High levels of stress
Avoid taking placenta medicine if the following is true for you:
- Chronic plugged ducts
- Illness, including the common cold, flu, or other infection
- If placenta medicine gives you too much energy, avoid taking before bed
The Homespun Midwives perform placenta encapsulation for $200 for our own clients and anyone else interested! We also create beautiful keepsake placenta prints, and can create a placenta tincture or tea.
Please get in touch if you are interested in placenta processing services.